Part 1
>Difficult, because I couldn't use words or even describe words I wanted to use to keep the conversation going. I got to "hello" by waving then it got complicated.
>Well I had a conversation with my girlfriend, she was laughing because I was getting frustrate, however it helped that she knew me so the conversation got a little father than hello. She had to say words and I'd shake my head to say yes or no, and that's pretty much how the conversation progressed.
>The culture speaking has the advantage of communicating complex ideas as they would have more communicating vocabulary you could say, but also that doesn't necessarily mean the non speaking culture would understand a single word of it. I call a draw. The speaking culture in my opinion would be short on patience but at the same time could possibly understand the non speaking culture because of the visual signs. Deaf people have a lot of trouble communicating with people who aren't used to interacting with them. People that use signing as a form of communication would have the same trouble as well when communicating with someone who doesn't know sign language.
Part 2
>NO! I lasted about 45 seconds and it was because I was describing something i felt passionate about, I lost focus and then I was done for. I counted something on my fingers. The fact that I was so focused on not using any physical expressions with my body was the most difficult part because I normally make A LOT of facial expressions.
>Well my partner was actually challenging me from the beginning by asking me things I had to do, how much homework I had, and wanted to know what my grade point average would be upon graduating next week, so there was an added challenge.
>This experiment shows how far we've come as a race, communicating and how much we still use the basic forms maybe not the same way but definitely still use basics daily.
>I believe reading body language is something that is picked up/learned as you grow up, and not necessarily something that comes natural, so yes there are people who have trouble reading body language.
>An adaptive benefit of reading body language is being able to see when someone moods change through their facial expression and in a way their spirit. The face is a key to telling how people are feeling, although their are those who can hide behind laughing and smiling when dealing with tough times. For example if someone doesn't want to do something physical or partake in sports they will give minimum effort. An example of a benefit to not reading body language could be when someone clearly depressed or down about a personal issue and is acting unenthusiastically toward a project, a project you've been looking forward to doing and you just keep your positivity up because this project despite their situation is still due the next day. So not being able to tell or read their body language could get you through the project.
>Difficult, because I couldn't use words or even describe words I wanted to use to keep the conversation going. I got to "hello" by waving then it got complicated.
>Well I had a conversation with my girlfriend, she was laughing because I was getting frustrate, however it helped that she knew me so the conversation got a little father than hello. She had to say words and I'd shake my head to say yes or no, and that's pretty much how the conversation progressed.
>The culture speaking has the advantage of communicating complex ideas as they would have more communicating vocabulary you could say, but also that doesn't necessarily mean the non speaking culture would understand a single word of it. I call a draw. The speaking culture in my opinion would be short on patience but at the same time could possibly understand the non speaking culture because of the visual signs. Deaf people have a lot of trouble communicating with people who aren't used to interacting with them. People that use signing as a form of communication would have the same trouble as well when communicating with someone who doesn't know sign language.
Part 2
>NO! I lasted about 45 seconds and it was because I was describing something i felt passionate about, I lost focus and then I was done for. I counted something on my fingers. The fact that I was so focused on not using any physical expressions with my body was the most difficult part because I normally make A LOT of facial expressions.
>Well my partner was actually challenging me from the beginning by asking me things I had to do, how much homework I had, and wanted to know what my grade point average would be upon graduating next week, so there was an added challenge.
>This experiment shows how far we've come as a race, communicating and how much we still use the basic forms maybe not the same way but definitely still use basics daily.
>I believe reading body language is something that is picked up/learned as you grow up, and not necessarily something that comes natural, so yes there are people who have trouble reading body language.
>An adaptive benefit of reading body language is being able to see when someone moods change through their facial expression and in a way their spirit. The face is a key to telling how people are feeling, although their are those who can hide behind laughing and smiling when dealing with tough times. For example if someone doesn't want to do something physical or partake in sports they will give minimum effort. An example of a benefit to not reading body language could be when someone clearly depressed or down about a personal issue and is acting unenthusiastically toward a project, a project you've been looking forward to doing and you just keep your positivity up because this project despite their situation is still due the next day. So not being able to tell or read their body language could get you through the project.
I agree that the part 1 of the experiment was difficult. It seems to be a one way conversation and limited at that. People who do have the ability to speak need to relate to deaf people and experience how difficult it is to communicate with one another. We definitely need body language and emotions to express ourselves. I agree there are some people that are hard to read especially if you think that person is joking and they aren't.
ReplyDelete"I got to "hello" by waving then it got complicated."
ReplyDeleteThat had me chuckling, but it does pretty much describe the situation!
The question about which culture had the advantage wasn't just referring to the two cultures communicating with each other, but with their own cultures as well. So if a representative of each culture had to explain to their own culture a complex plan to migrate to a new location, which culture has the advantage?
For part 2, it was interesting to hear that your partner seemed to try to make it harder on you, but did she change the way she communicated at all? Did she find this difficult?
[cringe] It has nothing to do with us as a "race". You'll get that after next week's material. We are a species. What does this experiment tell you in terms of the importance of body language in communicating with those around us?
Can you think of a group that doesn't read body language?
Okay on the suggestion for when you might not want to read body language. Does body language always give you accurate information? Can it mislead you? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?
I agree with your point about how how hard it is to not use any types of gestures. In fact, I dont think any of us realize how much we do use facial expressions, body language, and tonal ranges. Until we remove all of these is that we realize not only how important these are, but how much we use them.
ReplyDelete